The most epic sports event of the year is just days away. And the party planning process is likely in full swing for avid football fans and those just jumping on the wagon for the ride! The biggest decision to be made isn’t which team will win…it’s what to serve up to all of your football frenzied fans! Sinking into your couch in front of your big screen TV on a cold winter’s day provides the perfect platform for a binge disaster.
So, in the spirit of tantalizing taste buds, while still partaking in the festivities, I present to you NO-RITOS: the DORITOS that really aren’t! These bite-size snacks are so good on so many levels. Not only are they packed with protein courtesy of the almonds, cashews, and nutritional yeast, they are also high in vitamin B12 owing to the nutritional yeast and loaded with fiber and a veggie serving that no kid (big or small) will even guess is hidden in their snack!
Add these NO-RITOS (inspired by The Dexonista’s Vegan Nacho Cheez-Its) to your spread this Superbowl Sunday and I promise you, this bowl will be the first one to be empty!
Click the arrows to move through the slides:
Vegan No-Ritos Recipe
- 1 ½ cups of a mix of soaked almonds and cashews
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon (you can add more to your liking)
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2-4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (I love this stuff, the more you add, the cheesier the taste!)
- Pinch of sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Combine all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend until all of the ingredients have combined and reached a creamy consistency.
- Spread the mixture on a 9 x 13 pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake this for approximately 20 – 25 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Use a knife to glide through the baked product, cutting diamond/DORITO shapes.
- Place this pan back into the oven for another 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them to ensure they don’t brown too much.
- Remove the pan again from the oven, and flip the contents onto another pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place this tray back into the oven for 10 minutes to crisp them up and VOILA!
- Cool and serve.
Dr. Meera Dossa is a licensed naturopathic doctor at Davisville Active Therapy. She is certified and licensed to perform parenteral therapy in the province of Ontario and has successfully met the requirements for the Standard of Practice in Therapeutic Prescribing. To book an appointment for naturopathic therapy, diagnostic testing, dietary assessment, or intravenous therapy, please contact Dr. Meera Dossa, ND at 647-705-1242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.