The holidays are here, which means you’ll likely be around a lot of fabulous food! You can enjoy it without over doing it. Here’s how:
- Before walking into a party, have a plan. Take time to think about how much you want to eat and come up with a strategy to keep your promise. Visualize how you will feel after enjoying the party without over indulging. Bonus– be accountable to someone before as well as after the party… tell them your intention shortly before you go to the party, and promise to call them afterwards to report your success.
- Never arrive at a party overly hungry. If you are going to a party straight after work, make sure to have a healthy snack, such as an apple, hummus & veggies, a handful of nuts, a bit of protein such as a few bites of chicken or a hardboiled egg, before entering the party. Or, you can always drink a tall glass of water upon arriving. This will stretch your stomach and trick you into feeling full, at least for about 20 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
- Always stand away from the buffet/snack table. Just walk away.
- Always have a low-calorie drink in your hand.
- At a buffet, fill your plate once and commit to being satisfied with not going back for seconds. It takes at least 20 minutes for the fullness signal to reach your brain anyway… so after eating, focus on enjoying the conversation and resist the urge to fill your plate again.
- Offer to bring a dish of your own… and bring a healthy one so you can guarantee there will be at least one healthy one you will be able to enjoy!
Before entering any party, imagining how great you’ll feel as you make healthy food choices throughout the evening is a powerful way to set yourself up for success.
Enjoy a healthy and happy holiday season!
To your health!
Dr. Jody Stanislaw is a 2007 Bastyr University graduate. She works entirely via phone with patients all around the country.
Being a type 1 diabetic since the age of 7, she specializes in Diabetes care and is an expert at helping patients achieve optimal glucose control. She also works with the general population, advising patients on the naturopathic approach of treating today’s most common ailments.
Her focus on mind/body is present in every appointment. In her very popular intensive program, patients receive weekly calls with her over a 3 month period, allowing them to make dramatic transformations in their overall health & wellbeing. This structure allows the many levels of a patient’s needs to be addressed…physical, emotional, nutritional, and more…leaving them happier and healthier than ever before. Sign up for a free introductory phone consultation with Dr. Stanislaw here: www.consultwithdrjody.com