Along with the likes of peas, lentils, alfalfa, soybeans and peanuts, chickpeas are likely one of the most recognizable and versatile members of the legume family. And, considering that they are known to be both a vegetable and a protein, including them into your diet provides so much more bang for your buck! I like to keep healthy snack options around the house so that when we feel the need to reach for something salty or savory, we can satisfy our cravings and reap some healthy benefits at the same time…like I said, bang for your buck! Jam packed with cholesterol reducing and satiety quenching fiber, lean muscle producing protein, and neural tube preventing folic acid for women of child-bearing age, these Boom CHICK-A-PEA Boom roasted chickpeas are the perfect guilt-free addition to a cozy night on the couch in front of the TV! And after all, chickpeas are the new non-GMO popcorn!
2 15oz cans of BPA free lining chickpeas
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
Juice of 1 fresh lime
Pinch of cayenne pepper – add more for more heat
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400F.
2. Rinse the chickpeas thoroughly, then place them on a clean cloth and dab and rub them dry until the outer skins come off of the legumes. Discard these skins. Remember, the key to the crispiest chickpeas is ensuring that they are dried thoroughly after rinsing.
3. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and add all of the ingredients to them, ensuring that they are evenly coated.
4. Spread the chickpeas on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake the chickpeas for approximately 40 minutes or until your desired crispiness has been achieved!
Be sure to store these in an airtight container!
**This recipe has been adapted from 12Tomatoes**